Welcome

...to my Treehouse, where I do a bit of sharing goodies with my readers, and a lot of showing off of my CT tags. It's my little nest in the busy world of psp.

Squirrely has been my nickname since I was a child, both because it rhymes with my real name, and because I'm forgetful and just plain nuts at times. I've been tagging for 2+ decades off and on, and now that I'm retired/disabled I'm pretty much on most of the time now.

I love to share what I make with you, and I LOVE it when you respond with love back for the shares. So have a look around, take what you like and enjoy yourself. Just watch for splinters.

My Blinkie

Say Hello!

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Blogs To Visit

CU Licenses

Friday, May 16, 2014

"She Served" Tutorial & WIN! winner

One of my favorite artists is Spazz because I love my tubes to look like real women and hers do.  I was bowled over when she invited me to join her CT after seeing my tags in the Creative Addictions forum where she sponsors a contest for us. Of course I said YES YES YES, and this tut is my first as a member of her very talented team.  I'm SO nervous now, so if you do this tut I'd love you to let me know if I'm doing A-OK or not lol.

She Served

**Tube of choice - I've used a gorgeous new tube by Spazz that she created just in time for Memorial Day, called "Miranda". 
You can purchase this tube at Spazz' Store - DO NOT use it without a license.
**Scrap Kit - I've used a fantastic PTU kit by Kizzed by Kelz called "Memorial Day", which also can be purchased at Spazz Store.  It's loaded with patriotic goodies!!
**Filters - Xero Radiance and Grey Tinter
**Mask of choice - I've used one of my favorites from Wee Scottish Lass - Mask_WSL119
**Font of choice - I've used United BRK for Spazz name and Impact Label Reversed for the dog-tag text.
**Template - my template HERE 

-----------------------------------------------
Tutorial Abbreviations
s/sa/fl/defl/ = Selections/Select All/Float/Defloat
c/p = copy & paste
d/s = drop shadow
f/f = flood fill
------------------------------------------------------

Drop Shadow used throughout unless otherwise noted ...2, 2, 7, 40.

1. Open my template, duplicate and close original.

2. Open paper6 and r/s 75%. On layer 1 of the template, s/sa/fl/defl and c/p paper 6 as a new layer, invert and then delete. 
Select none. 

3. Open paper 17 and r/s 75%. Repeat step 1 and then duplicate this layer, mirror and move it in your layer palette above layer 5.

4. Repeat step 2 on all of the following layers with the papers listed:
~~~Paper 2 onto layer 3
~~~Paper 4 onto layer 4
~~~Paper 7 onto layer 6

5. Make a gradient in the foreground of your materials palette using 2 colors from your tube - I used #f9f6e4 and #d1c9b7. Highlight layer 8, s/sa/fl/defl and add a new layer.  
F/f this layer with the gradient color, select none.

6. Open paper28 and r/s 50%. Highlight layer 11, s/s/f/d and c/p the paper as a new layer, centering it on 
the circle. While still selected, open your close up layer and c/p this as a new layer resizing 
if needed, again centering it on the circle so her salute is included. Invert, delete and select 
none on both the tube and paper layers. Add Xero Radiance to the tube with these settings:

Then add Xero Grey Tinter with these settings:

Duplicate the tube and add a Gaussian Blur of 3.00. Change the blend mode of this layer to Soft Light and 
change the original layer to Hard Light. 

7. Move down to your white background layer in your layer palette. Open pp22, c/p as a new layer. Grab your crop tool and use 
snap crop to make the paper fit the image:

Go to Layers and find Mask_WSL119 and apply, merge group. I then grabbed my pick tool and stretched 
the mask out a bit so it would show more on all sides.

8. Open your main tube and resize if needed to be about 525 px tall. C/p onto your tag, moving it to the right a bit. Duplicate
and add a Gaussian Blur to the duplicate layer of 3.00, change the blend mode to soft light. Add a d/s of 4, 4, 60, 7.00 and
repeat with -2, -2, 40, 6.00.

9. Now we'll decorate our tag, refer to my example for my placement of the elements. Remember to add d/s unless noted elsewhere
~~~Element 26 - r/s 35% and c/p it moving it to the left top above the closeup tube.
~~~Elements 2, 6, & 10 - rs 25%. C/p them each as new layers and drop them down and below layer 9, arranging them to your liking. Duplicate each and flip. Add d/s of 0, 0, 34, 10.00
~~~Element 88 - c/p under your main tube layer to the right side. Duplicate and rotate 180 degrees. Do not add a d/s to the layers.
~~~Element 94 - c/p as a new layer and move it under your tube layer. Image and free rotate it left 45 degrees (look above for
placement. Highlight layer 9 in your palette and s/sa/f/d, highlight element 94 again and hit delete to erase it from the circle.
~~~Element 113 - c/p under the dog tags layer to the right side.
~~~Element 117 - r/s 40% and c/p under the stars layers to the far right bottom.
~~~Element 43 - c/p as a new layer below the suitcase layer
~~~Element 118 - r/s 20% and c/p as a new layer moving to the upper right of the tag.

10. In your materials palette, change the foreground to #0a41a8 and background to #b6161e. Change to a 
gradient selecting 'foreground/background' choosing linear, 0, 0. Type out your name and add an Eye Candy Glow of 2, fat,
color #ede8d7, opacity 100. Add a d/s to your name of 2, 2, 3.00, 75. Add some text to the dog-tags like I did if you like and rotate it to fit.

11. Add your artist's copyright information, delete the white background and save as a png file. Enjoy your 
new Memorial Day tag!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Back on day one of this blog, I started a WIN!, which is what I'm going to call contests or challenges that  I run here on my blog. I have to admit to being a bit disappointed with the number of entries I had, but those who did enter are all good friends of mine or talented tut writers, so that was truly nice. I hope as my tuts and blog gain more notoriety in the tagging community, my WIN!s will be more popular.  I mean hell, I never pass up the chance to win free tubes.

I had 8 entries which I numbered 1 - 8 with one being the first response.
And the winner is....

Congratulations Julianne!!!
I'll contact you and you can tell me what store you would like your 3 tubes to come from.
Yay!!

2 comments:

Oh my gosh! I'm pleasantly surprised and honored! Thank you so much Shirl! (((Hugs))) Jules

Moon said...

Beautiful tag Shirl!! I'm loving what you did with the kit and that tube of Spazz's is AWESOME!
Blog is looking FANTASTIC my friend! Oh yeah..and CONGRATS Jules on being the Win! Winner :)

Hugs,

Moon

Post a Comment

Fav Forums

I CT For

Search

Archives

Fav Designers

Scrappy Bit of Fun